Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Heat


The trip to JoAnn's in Cary wasn't strictly necessary but I wanted to get out of town for a bit.  I called a friend and off we went Monday morning.  Almost everything I purchased was on sale and I had two coupons!


One of the girls (now a young woman) who was in my Girl Scout troop is expecting her second child in November... this time a boy!  Jamie loved the crib sheets I made for her when her daughter Abby was born so... I decided that I would make her some crib sheets for her little boy.  

I first made crib sheets from flannel yardage when my grandchildren were born and, because my DD and DDIL loved the sheets so, I have made them for special people who were having babies.  

The sheets are very easy to make and I usually make
several at the time.  The sheets are not as skimpy as crib sheets you can purchase so the moms don't have to wrestle with the crib mattress and sheet each time they remake the crib.... I clearly remember having to do that and what a pain it was!

The neat thing about cotton flannel crib sheets is that they are soft and cuddly... warm in winter and cool in summer.  The sheets wash well and are very sturdy because when I sew something together, it STAYS sewn together!  The elastic does not fall off and the corner seams don't come apart from use.


  
After a day of being in and out of stores in the heat, I paid for it yesterday, which I spent in bed resting and reading, drinking a lot of cold tea, and otherwise trying to cool.  It was the right thing to do even though I disliked "wasting" a day of my summer break.  I do feel much better today and... because the temperatures will remain over 100... I'll stay inside where the air conditioning and ceiling fans keep me cool.




14 comments:

  1. Okay, someone is a little slow on the uptake over here at LeeHaven. The heat. I get it. STAY OUT OF THE HEAT you crazy woman! Don't make me start mailing notions to your house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we forget that the sheets are so appreciated and so easy to make. I made some for my grandaughter, now age 11, but they didn't have elastic. Think you pattern is better. I went to Joaan yesterday with a friend, I didn't buy a thing. I am so into this CW/reproduction fabric that I didn't see anything I liked. This is very odd for me.

    Stay cool, going to be over 100 for the next 7 days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make crib sheets for friends too. Now I am getting ready to make some for a friends grand Babies that are due in September/October. Her DD is having twin boys and her DDIL is having a girl. I may use some t-shirt knit.
    Stay cool and happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's how it always goes at JoAnn's when you have coupons--it is always already on sale (and not always as much a discount as you would have received with the coupon).
    I'd forgotten that I used to make crib sheets once upon a time. What a great baby gift idea--and especially the flannel. Can you share the dimensions you use?
    Take care of yourself--the heat in your area is unreal. We are having cooler temps than normal. Want to come visit? : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a smart woman to take the time to recuperate from the heat. It's awful out there right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made crib sheets although I've made everything else for the crib. I will have to try doing that. A new parent can never have enough crib sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know of a good tutorial for making crib sheets?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You bought some beautiful things Freda. I'll sent you some weather from here....it's raining all day and it's cold and it suposed to be Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We made sheets, too! Not flannel, though, that sounds like a good idea. Summer heat~ugh!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went into Hobby Lobby yesterday and spied the cutest cotton flannel: small pink rosebuds with a green calyx on a white background. I had a nightie made from this very print when I was seven about 5 decades ago (yes, I'm that old). Freda, take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you consider a tutorial for the crib sheets? Or just post the dimensions? DD asked for some for #2.
    Please take care of yourself. The heat is a bugger!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd also love to see your pattern. We use flannel year round also. Can't wait to see these...maybe in steps?

    I feel your pain: I was sweltering at market in the heat of the day for 6 hours, index was 109 deg. I came home and dove straight into an ice cold watermelon. Ahh....
    Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too would love to know how you make your crib sheets! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't tried to make crib sheets, but think they would be most appreciated. I remember the ones I had for my children were tooooo small. Did you buy a pattern?

    ReplyDelete