I read Bonnie Hunter's post on "Webbing The Top" of a quilt and thought I would try to figure it out with the Smokey Mountain Stars quilt. I was concerned about the almost 200 blocks for which the exact orientation of each block was crucial to the quilt design.
Photo from Bonnie Hunter's website here.
I couldn't see dealing with all the blocks webbed together as I tried to figure all this out... so worked in sections where the first two columns of adjacent blocks were chain-sewn together from top to bottom. Then the each two-block set was sewn together with the two-block set directly below the first.
I figured that if this method didn't work for me I'd go back to my old, time-consuming, and error-prone way of sewing blocks together. Surprisingly, it worked AND was easy...
Arrows point to the threads connecting the two sets of blocks.
When all three of the adjacent blocks were sewn together, it was on to sewing these blocks to each other.
With this method, there was no doubt about what side of one set of blocks to sew to which side of the next set of blocks.
Using this method, only one set of two blocks were not sewn correctly and that was because I did not have them in the "to sew" stack in the right orientation. I caught the error at the next stage when it was easily corrected (only one seam to unsew).
Next, I need to sew the columns together and then move on to the sashing! I'm glad I tried the "Webbing the Top" method... I know it saved me endless grief!