Monday, July 25, 2011

Learning to "Web the Top"


I read Bonnie Hunter's post on "Webbing The Top" of a quilt and thought I would try to figure it out with the Smokey Mountain Stars quilt. I was concerned about the almost 200 blocks for which the exact orientation of each block was crucial to the quilt design.

 Photo from Bonnie Hunter's website here.

I couldn't see dealing with all the blocks webbed together as I tried to figure all this out... so worked in sections where the first two columns of adjacent blocks were chain-sewn together from top to bottom.  Then the each two-block set was sewn together with the two-block set directly below the first.  

I figured that if this method didn't work for me I'd go back to my old, time-consuming, and error-prone way of sewing blocks together.   Surprisingly, it worked AND was easy...   



Arrows point to the threads connecting the two sets of blocks.

When all three of the adjacent blocks were sewn together, it was on to sewing these blocks to each other.
With this method, there was no doubt about what side of one set of blocks to sew to which side of the next set of blocks.


Using this method, only one set of two blocks were not sewn correctly and that was because I did not have them in the "to sew" stack in the right orientation.  I caught the error at the next stage when it was easily corrected (only one seam to unsew).


Next, I need to sew the columns together and then move on to the sashing!  I'm glad I tried the "Webbing the Top" method... I know it saved me endless grief!


11 comments:

  1. This is really coming along! I web full-size quilts in quarter sections, and then sew them all together. That has worked best for me, but I do like webbing. Makes a sometimes tedious job less so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of doing large quilts in sections, as I have a very small sewing space. Your stars are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm this might work for a quilt I'm working on at the moment which needs to be kept in an exact order, I'll have to read through that post a couple of times so I can understand it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been hesitant to try it out because I don't really like to sew my quilt tops together in rows. I never thought about applying the method to smaller sections. I will have to go back and review the instructions and maybe I will try it on my next quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a marvelous system isn't it. I 1st tried it a couple of years ago on a baby quilt and was hooked. On the occassions that I feel cocky and don't feel the need to web I generally pay the price somewhere along the line in ripping. Your quilt is coming along just great. Selina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you twisted stars, I will have to read through your post again about webbing--------I must bee a slow learner. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must remember this! Its so hard to keep everything straight, especially now that my brain is getting older!

    Still Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Freda you do such beautiful work. I love how this quilt is coming together. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your input on that. I once tried Eleanor Burns version of that, which I'm not sure if it's the same as Bonnie's and wasn't thrilled with it. I think I'll have to try Bonnie's way to see if I like it better, especially since it worked so well for you. Your top is looking great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too much geometry. I earn an "F" grade today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I rarely sew my blocks together in rows if I can avoid it but I know several people that use this method and like it.

    ReplyDelete