Monday, July 9, 2018


Even though I had placed a moratorium on fabric purchases a while ago, I realized that my stash was at SABLE stage:  Stash Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy.  So, I found a pattern/tutorial for grocery bags online and did a bit of sewing.

This morning, I made a grocery run and these shopping bags definitely have a lot of positives:

1.  Using these will reduce my consumption of plastic bags.  I don't want to see any more photos of animals killed or deformed by plastics dumped in their environments.

2.  These bags are sturdier than plastic bags so I won't, for example, have any more burpless cukes poking a hole in a plastic bag and ending up on the driveway or on the floor in the kitchen.

3.  This sturdiness also allows more items to be placed in the bags so there are fewer bags to manage out to the car and into the house.

4.  The handles do not slide on and do not cut into my arm when lugging them into the house. 

5.  The cheerful, fun bags help make a chore a bit more pleasant.

The tutorial and pattern is by Stitched by Crystal (link) and it is easy to follow.  The bags go together quickly, even though all the seams in the bag are French-seams.  The most difficult part was selecting fabrics.  The pattern calls for fat quarters and most FQs I have are singles....  so the backs and front of the bags are different, though coordinated.  The lining, which takes one FQ, is also coordinated rather than matching.   It was nice to put a small dent in the stash... and good to have these fabrics out where I can enjoy them!

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Report from the sewing machine

Granddaughter #2 was thrilled with her new romper and, after studying herself in the mirror behind  my bedroom door, sashayed around the house  in it.  *lol*  I insisted on a photo before she left...   

The fabric I chose for granddaughter #1's dress was a pretty, silky knit... but it was the devil to sew on.  Thank goodness it was a simple pattern.  The chiffon I used for the shrug was much easier to sew thankfully.

Hard to believe this one will be in high school come fall.

It's been hotter than blue blazes lately and I've been staying inside, enjoying both the air conditioning and the ceiling fan.  However, I did venture out for the appointment with the oncologist this afternoon.  After discussion, we agreed that no further treatment at this time is needed... and I will have mammograms twice a year for a while.    *whew*

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Quilty goodness

One of the younger members of a knit/crochet group I belong to is expecting in early August and we're all making things for her.  Since this isn't her first child, she doesn't need much and the rest of the group is knitting or crocheting things for her... so I decided to make a quilt to put on the floor for tummy time.

I challenged myself to use only stash... and I did!  The flannel squares, cut from yardage to make crib sheets, needed to be trimmed to 8" and went together quickly, although random-looking placement was a bit of a challenge.  I was worried about doing meander quilting since it's been a while... but it came back quickly.  Not perfect but looks good to me!  

Another project I just had to try was water balloons (link)!  I've become concerned about the amount of plastics being dumped around the world and am doing small things to reduce my plastic consumption such as not using plastic straws at restaurants.  

The "balloons," soaked in a bucket of water, will be fun for the grandkids to chase each other with and, I think, will make for something to toss to them to catch as they jump into the pool.  The balloons can be washed and dried... or hung up to dry.  Quick and simple to make, it's a good project to keep my hands busy in the evening.

I've not been getting email notices of comments and need to get better about checking here more frequently.  Hope Blogger gets that bug fixed quickly.

Have sewing projects perking in the never-ending task of putting lots of fabric to good use.  It's good to be back to quilting tho...  I missed it more than I realized!