Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kaleidoscope Tip

Yesterday, I finished sewing the Kaleidoscope blocks together, then sewed blocks into rows, and then sewed the rows together.  When sewing the pieces together, I figured something out that I wanted to share.


When pressing seams, press the seams in one direction so when they're all sewn together, the seams are either going clockwise or counter-clockwise.


This way, the center lies nice and flat...


...or as flat as it's going to get!

And if you knew this already, good on you....  I was just happy to have figured it out!

10 comments:

  1. Those 8 seams would create quite a lump. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of knew that but I often forget and one seam ends up going the wrong way, good reminder though. Your blocks are looking really good, you can get a lot done on a holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting us know this! I would have pressed to the dark side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I didn't know that, thank you for the tip. I have stayed away from pin wheels because I have trouble getting everything to meet in the center. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what PERFECT points!! The more you show of these blocks the more I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh oh oh, now this is beautiful. Feels so good to figure out something don't it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will try that on my next one! I can use all the help I can get to improve accuracy on any thing I make.

    I pressed my seams open like "Don't Call me Betsy" and that works well too. This is the first time I ever pressed the seams open when making quilt blocks. I'll post a picture of the back of my blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your point is perfect! Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing you tip. I really do have to try this block but it will have to wait. Right now I just love your blocks. Cant wait to see the quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip. I haven't made a kaleidoscope quilt, but I have purchased templates in two sizes and it is on my bucket list. I go out of the country for one week and look at all you've done!! : )

    ReplyDelete