Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Quilt Top Finish

I finished sewing the quilt top together for the Kaleidoscope QAL yesterday afternoon.  Here's the photo taken on my interior "design wall"...  the blues look really dark...


...and the one I took outside.   Hmmm... now the blues look a bit on the green side...


This photo show the blues closest to what they look like in real life...



Determined to shop my stash for backing, I didn't have much trouble finding pieces to audition because blue-and-white fabric seems to just follow me home.  


I decided on the fabric on the right because it wasn't as "fussy" and the blues were closer to the blues in the quilt top.



The blue-and-white thing has been around for a while and I believe it started with my grandmother's dishes... the platter in the center was hers, the others I collected.



Later, I found "Denmark" dinnerware by Franciscan...


...and a set has been living at my house for over 20 years now. 


In addition to collecting the flow blue plates, I also had this container to hold refill bottles of my favorite scent: Shalimar.



Yes, I do indeed have a thing for blue-and-white!

16 comments:

  1. I love your quilt! The colors are fresh and cool - perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew your beautiful fabrics reminded me of beautiful dishes!
    Love your fabrics, quilt and dishes! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the nice things about blue and white is it is timeless. I love blue and white dishes...and have been slowly collecting individual pieces here and there. I have planned out several blue and white quilts and completed one top...but haven't gotten any farther. Bravo to you!! Your quilt is fabulous!!

    Deb from clutteredquilter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so in love with your blue's, the top, the backing and the dishes. Roos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt top is gorgeous. And your dish collection is, too. I think a blue and white quilt will be on my project list, inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt top is absolutely gorgeous. I had the same trouble photographing my blue quilt. It was really hard to get an accurate colour.
    I love blue and white china.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow! I have not even started cutting yet but I didn't think I would be THIS far behind haha. Yours looks fantastic, I love it!

    ... just got back from vacation late last night, if I can stay awake after work that is #1 on my list to start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how the quilt turned out. It is really beautiful. Like your backing choice. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt. Love blue and white, it is so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt turned out really wonderful! You are fast! Seems like you just started it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is safe to say you have a thing about blue and white! The quilt top is beautiful. My kaleidoscope templates are calling to me--must--suppress--the--urge! (Too many UFOs in the works already, but when has that stopped me before?)
    Great backing fabric--I usually have to piece backings from my stash--other than large bargain pieces I buy when I can for specific quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I love the blue and white dishes. I need to get me a new collection. There's something so timeless and classy and comforting about blue and white dishes. I love your backing fabric too! This is going to be a fun one to quilt up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt top turned out just lovely, your work if exquisite! And the dishes, ahhh....flow blue; thanks for showing them! You know I'm a big fan of blue and white, especially when it comes to dishes/tea cups/tea pots. The quilt back is perfect for your top! I think I even have some of the china tea cups on that print! This one must be your favorite of all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quilt and the dishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's lovely, 'Empress', as usual. Your fabric choices are so spot-on. How are you going to quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You collect flow blue plates?! We have a friend who collects them, too! It is indeed a small world! PS they are gorgeous pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete