Two quilts completed but I was not sure where I wanted to go next. I had been saving a lot of quilt ideas but needed inspiration. Then, early in the spring of 2010, I found out that one of the girls in my old Girl Scout troop (now all adults) was expecting her first child. “Ah ha! I can make Kelly a baby quilt!”
A quick trip to my LQS was needed, of course! While getting a very nice dose of fabric therapy, I found a charm pack of Moda’s Animal Alphabet. I loved all the bright crayon colors and the cool prints in the line and felt they would make a very cheerful baby quilt. House Dragon had posted about a disappearing nine patch, which sounded easy to do. While working on the the quilt top, I learned that sewing speed and accurate ¼" seams don't go together.
During the time I working on the baby quilt, I found out that a dear friend had discovered a lump while doing her monthly breast exam and was going in for a biopsy. Leabelle’s mother had had breast cancer at the same age and it was a scary time for Leabelle, her family and all who love her. Of course, Leabelle needed a quilt! And this meant another trip to my LQS! I selected the "5 and Dime" pattern by All Washed Up and Blush fabrics by Basic Grey. The top went together very easily and I was very pleased NOT to have to trim the pieced columns AT ALL to make them the same length because.... *drum roll* ...my ¼" seams were
Added at smellslikesalad's request/demand :)
One unexpected thing came out of this quilt project. While looking at fabrics for Leabelle's quilt, I found I couldn’t bring myself to make an all-pink quilt but made a quilt with pink in it. You see, I have a thing about disorders/diseases/disabilities… probably because I have multiple sclerosis.
Please note the wording of “I have multiple sclerosis.” MS is part of who I am but it is not all of who I am… not even the major part of me. I don’t say, “MS has me” because MS doesn’t HAVE me… I have MS. Semantics, I know… but sometimes semantics are important. Leabelle might have cancer but the cancer was NOT going to have her!
When I gave Leabelle the quilt, I pointed out this wording to her and explained why the quilt wasn’t all pink. Not 100% sure she completely understood the point I was trying to make… I know it’s weird… but it didn’t really matter, I suppose. Thankfully, the biopsy showed the lump to be benign.
I had now made four quilts of various sizes and had a bit more practice with them pesky ¼” seams. I was on a roll! Patterns and fabrics were accumulating and I was ready to tackle The Grandbaby Quilt Project!