Saturday, March 15, 2014

16-Patch Progress


I was able to finish quilting the three panels of the 16-patch project last weekend and had to lay them out on the floor to see how they looked.


The next step is to pin back the batting and the backing on one panel and just the backing on the other.  I pinned the batting and quilt top of one panel to the quilt to of the other and sewed them together.


Trim the batting close to the seam and open up the quilt.  Press open the seam.


Trim the batting on the other panel close to the seam joining the two panels and tuck it under the seam allowance.


Smooth the backing from one panel over the seam and then fold and pin the backing from the other panel over.


Next, sew the backing together. 


Turn the quilt panels over and pin-baste.

 
I'm going to give the newly joined panels a good pressing before I start quilting the join strip.   Then it will be on to the last panel...




8 comments:

  1. Love the white on off white squares... always my favorite part.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing about this technique. Sounds like a good idea for quilting a LARGE quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it turning out as you hoped? Looks good from here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting way to do this. I was wondering how it was all going to come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! What is it about this pattern? I could make a bunch of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love how this quilt is looking. Great tutorial. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looking fab, Freda. :o)

    ReplyDelete