Monday, March 26, 2012

A Trip to JoAnn's and a New Friend!


As part of my on-going efforts to interest my granddaughters in sewing and fabrics, on our shopping trip Saturday morning, Emma and I went to JoAnn's to select fabrics to make pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer as part of the FNSI project for April.

After explaining the parameters (fabric must be soft and the prints need to be something children would like), Emma did a great job picking out fabrics... I gave her options on the border fabrics and she made wonderful choices!

 
(Gutterman thread was 40% off so I picked up a couple of spools)

After seeing my LAQ using these the other day, I picked up a pair of thread snippers as well!


While we were having our fabrics cut and Emma was playing with her purple Peeps bunny, a lady started talking to us.  We had a pleasant chat and then.... the lady asked if I had a JoAnn's coupon.   I didn't... had left them on the kitchen table that morning.   The lady then pulled out her coupons and offered me the one for "a friend," asking, with a smile, if I would like to be her friend.


The 25% off included everything... regular priced items as well as sale and clearance items!

Afterward, Emma and I talked about "luck" and "being nice to people."  Yes... it was a very good day!





15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pillowcase fabrics just make me grin. I want to sleep on one of those. I'm sure it would mean sweet dreams!
    Looks like you have a designer, if not a seamstress, in the making!
    Pay it forward--love how that works. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely wonderful shopping trip!!! Such wonderful combinations Emma chose!! What a treat to shop with your granddaughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She did good! The pillowcases will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I leave my Jo-Ann's coupons in my car all the time, so I'm never without them! But what a nice person to help you out. I also have the Jo-Ann app for my phone which they accept.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet, sweet story!

    We've reached the point here that my sons tell me when the HoAnne's coupons arrive...never mind such things as bills arriving in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the complimentary borders she picked out...that girl has an eye for design! Coincidentally, I too, was at Joann's Saturday with my coupons, and also made a new friend :~)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that the grandchildren are getting involved. About a month ago, I started my 8-year-old granddaughter sorting squares and this past Sunday sat her down at my Bernina (with the speed as low as possible). She did great in putting together a small quilt top.
    Lillian
    lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teach 'em early about fabric addiction. That's what I says! Good work, Granny! Love the prints. PS I received a JoAnn supplemental flyer the other day regarding summer sewing/craft classes they are offering for kids. You might want to check out their website...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My darling Aunt taught me to sew 40 years ago, and it was the best gift I was ever given. It has seen me through so much! She and I have also enjoyed several trips "stateside" to the awesome Joanne's. Blessings on creating with your precious granddaughter. It is so special!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pillow case material looks good enough to eat. So glad there are lovely people in this world. Your grandies are precious.

    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pillow case material looks good enough to eat. So glad there are lovely people in this world. Your grandies are precious.

    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are teaching Emma some very important lessons.

    ReplyDelete