Sunday, January 19, 2014

Runner for the Dining Room Buffet


I was able to finish up the whole-cloth runner for the buffet in the dining room and am pleased with it.


I like glass stuff and have a small collection plus a lovely set of candlewick glassware that was a wedding present to my maternal grandparents.  The larger pieces don't fit in any cabinets that I have so I display it on the dining room buffet and table.  



I had been using a quilted place mat for the buffet but it was too small to accommodate the candlesticks...   and, without anything on the buffet, the glass seems to disappear.



The quilting took more than two bobbins of thread but I do like how it turned out.



It was funny but it was much easier to see spaces I had missed from the back rather than from the front with the printed fabric.




One "incentive" to get this project done was that I did not remove the Christmas decorations from the buffet until I had the runner ready.   So one of today's project is to get this stuff put away!




A simple project but one that allowed me to get in there and practice FMQ-ing... both moving the fabric and controlling motor speed with the foot pedal.





14 comments:

  1. Looks good and a great way to practice FMQ. I'm glad you had that piece of fabric in your stash. I hope to get to some FMQ today myself on a small piece. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a whole heap o stitches! Good work outlining, and lovely glassware. By coincidence, when I finally put the Christmas china away over a week ago, I pulled out my maternal and paternal grandmothers' wedding china and green depression glass for a mix-n-match on the dining table. First time ever, and I like it. Stay warm, dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great on the buffet. I have to practice speed of the machine also. I have a Bernina and it has a button that slows the speed to 1/2 at full speed and that helps since I tend to sew with the peddle to the meddle if you know what I mean! LOL
    thanks again for the great idea to use printed fabric to practice FMQ
    hugs
    beebee

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect project to hone your fmq skills on! And it's perfect for showing off that beautiful glassware! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really pretty. l like to use table runners on the sideboard...also protects the wood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That FMQ practice turned out to be a wonderful tablerunner. Who would know that it was a practice piece. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's another great runner, Freda. Fab-u-lous! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job, and a great way to put it to use. Looks very pretty with the glassware resting upon it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The runner is perfect for your buffet and the pieces you have displayed on it.
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty and it looks lovely with your glassware. Your FMQuilting looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your new runner does a great job displaying your glass collectibles. I really like your idea about practicing FMQ.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job!! Good for you doing your own quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like all those swirly, thready lines!

    ReplyDelete