Saturday, August 12, 2017

Quilt Show Road Trip



This morning, a new knitting/crochet/quilting friend and I hit the road to High Point, NC to attend the High Point Quilt Guild's annual show (link).  Since we left at 7:30 a.m., there was very little traffic and we arrived just before the show opened at 9:00. 


Held in the gym of the local YMCA, the lighting wasn't the best and you all know what a terrible photographer I am, but I did my best...


I took photos of the quilts I liked the best...  this one had the books of the Bible machine embroidered on the "book spines."


There were 20-odd vendors and I picked up a few things...


...nothing exciting.  A white-on-lavender print to make pillowcases for my granddaughter's newly-redecorated-for-a-13yo's-taste bedroom... 


...and several white-on-white fabrics for a future project.


There were a lot of quilts that used purple so I guess that is the "in" color in High Point, at least among the quilt guild.


I didn't see any quilts that were startlingly gorgeous or "new" to me...  


...this one used Downtown Abbey fabrics.


This quilt had to be made by someone with very good eyesight...


...because the background quilting was minuscule!



On the way home, we stopped at a new-to-us yarn shop.  I restrained myself, subvocalizing my mantra:  no yarn unless it's for a specific project!  I did purchase new circular needles (size 4 / 3.5 mm) because I don't have that size.

It was an overall good day and I got to know my new friend a lot better.  Increasing my pool of friends beyond those employed by Moore County Schools is one of my retirement goals!





3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun way to get to know a friend better.
    We just had our county fair and they didn't even award a sweepstakes ribbon in the bed quilt category. There just wasn't anything amazing. I even felt like the one that got sweepstakes in the wall hanging category was nothing to write home about. That is really unusual for our fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm lucky with our fair; I just went to our fair today. We have big amount of quilts each year. I went home with several quilts to add to my endless "quilts I want to make" list!

    So, Empress, you are a teacher? I am a retired teacher with one year under my belt. Your idea for finding new friends is a great idea. How long to retirement?

    I also always underestimate, by epic portions, how long it takes to make a quilt. Being retired has helped with my production of quilts, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New friend, road trip, quilt show and yarn shop....sounds like a perfect day to me!

    ReplyDelete