Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Non-slip Foot Pedal Mat (or Pad)



One of the first sewing-type projects I wanted to do was to make a non-slip mat so that I didn't have to chase the foot pedal around under the machine while sewing.  Slippery little devil likes to walk around while I'm trying to sew...

I found several tutes on Pinterest... the first one was So Easy Sew: Sew a Non-Slip Sewing Machine Foot Pedal Pad (link).  However, I found another one with a video tutorial that gave excellent instructions at Crafty Gemini Creates: Sewing Machine Non-slip Foot Pedal Non-slip Pad (link).  




I made it rectangular because I didn't want to mess with curved binding when I have the non-slip stuff under the presser foot and I'm glad I did.  I used leftover home dec fabric and I like the light color.  Yes, it will be on the floor but who cares?  More... who's going to see it?



The foot pedal doesn't slip on the mat and the mat doesn't slip on the carpet.  Yea!   

For those with questions:  there are two layers of the rubber/plastic shelf/drawer stuff and I only used fabric to bind the edges.  I did put a "stop" at the top of the mat just in case... but I don't think I needed to.  The foot pedal is metal and heavy; however, if your foot pedal isn't heavy, you might need the stop.



4 comments:

  1. Good solution and I like the squared design too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to fix your problem. And it looks pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make this! I'm tired of chasing my pedal around too! Thank you for the links, you will be saving me from a lot of aggravation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need one of these! My foot pedal drives me nuts.... I don't have too far to go. LOL

    ReplyDelete