Saturday, August 25, 2012

Quilty Update


Remember this quilt?


The one with the wavy line quilting?



The one I made for a friend/co-worker who lost his home in a fire?


I've not seen Chip since the get-together earlier in the summer when I gave the wrapped gift to him.  He didn't open it at the party.


Yesterday morning, I was getting ready to do a presentation at the school where Chip and I work and, as I was standing in front of the room as folks settled in...  Chip walked up, put his arm around me, and pulled me close...

He thanked me, saying he couldn't get over that I had made the quilt for him.... that the quilt is over the back of the sofa in their rented, furnished quarters, and he looks at it and touches it every day.  Chip commented how incredibly comforting the quilt was to him...

I told him that was the reason I made it for him.

We both were teary-eyed...



19 comments:

  1. I'm teary eyed too just reading that. And I read it to my husband and he's sniffing now too. What a wonderful gift to give ... and receive. Hugs all round from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, what a wonderful, touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bit of a sniff too......
    Such a very nice thing to do.
    The first jelly Roll quilt I made I gave to my cousin who had just lost her husband very suddenly....I told her that she could have a hug from me anytime when she needed one.
    It's a very nice feeling to give something that is recieved lovingly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely, isn't that what we hope for? to bring some comfort to people we care about. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats the very best reason to quilt...

    Never told you, but the first time I read the lyrics to the song on your sidebar, I cried like a baby. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! Quilts are all about comfort, and love, and generosity. Maybe that is why I can't bring myself to sell any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that is exactly why we quilt. Great moment and thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that made me cry...love it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great reaffirmation of why we quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must have been an awfully good feeling. Makes it so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this story today. Quilts are for comforting. Why we make them. It was a wonderful quilt, Freda. And a wonderful thing you did for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay - my eyes are tearing up right now!!! You are a woman with a GRAND HEART!!!! Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quilts do touch people hearts in ways that words cannot. Your friend will never forget your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup. That's pretty much what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a blessing, and I know your thoughtfulness toward him is as comforting as the quilt.
    Thanks for the followup report.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful that he loves the quilt and is so grateful.
    Lillian
    lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. God Bless you Empress and Chip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We knew it would do that, didn't we? How nice for him to make sure you knew you were appreciated, too! Lovely share, I'm sending my hug along too ~
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete