Thursday, February 24, 2011

My First BOM



Yup, I went and did it… signed up for a 12-month BOM.  Yup, I am a crazy woman… just shoot me now!  

Seriously, my SIL will be heading off to minister school at Duke University this coming school year and I felt “called” to make Jan Patek’s Bible quilt for him.... even though he may be through with minister school by the time I finish this...


 Photo from Jan Patek's blog

Block #1 arrived in yesterday’s mail.  

 Photo from Jan Patek's blog


Let me just say that I’ve never met a pattern that I didn’t want to change in some way… and I will be changing this one as well.   Nothing that serious but I’m NOT doing needle-turn appliqué!  Not that I can’t, it’s just that 1) I’m a little ADHD,  and 2) I’m not willing to spend that amount of time with something that will give rise to latent perfectionism, semi-tamed after many, many years’ effort.

I foresee a lot of fun with fusible stuff and underlining… wish me luck!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Yes, yes, I know I didn't post a mug rug yesterday when you all are waiting with baited-breath for me to do so...  *lol*

Here's your mug rug fix for the day...






12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the BOM! It's so pretty. I would not be doing needle turn either! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the BOM quilt you will be working on. It will be fun to watch your progress. Wonderful mug rug, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to do this BOM. However, I have so many projects in the works now. Can't wait to see your first block finished. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the BOM! Where did you find it? I agree with the fusible...protect your iron, though or else use an older one just for fusible because it can make such a mess (at least mine does!) Your mug rugs are fun - I've got to make one and post it for you to see! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done one turned piece--the Alpine Wonder that I just got back from the LA shop. But I also did that one in a class with an incredible and supporting teacher right there. Do that at home? Not likely. I actually really like putting zig-zag applique stuff, so that's my out. I'd do a BOM, but I can't get to my machine easily for 4 months a year..... bummer that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. I find your comments about The A Word hilarious after I spent last week complaining and then realizing it wasn't that bad. May I suggest a compromise to fusing (which I find too stiff for a cuddly quilt)? I discovered that if I cut the pattern from a manila folder, I could easily turn the edges with my iron and starch. The pattern pops out easily, leaving a perfect edge-turned applique piece. You could then stitch it down by machine. It is best if you put something to back it like wash-away stabilizer. Try this on a mug rug to see if you like it. I usually use a blanket stitch or a tiny zig zag. You won't be able to tell it wasn't done by hand. I'l bee happy to share some more hints but I think you could prep that whole block using this method in about 30 minutes (maybe I'm exagerating!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilting on this mug rug really makes it cute! I'm with you about not doing somehting that takes too long. I think you will really enjoy working on this bom quilt and thinking about God as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to let you know I'm following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The BOM quilt will be gorgeous and a prized possession, I am sure!

    You could work on your BOM during FNSI! LOL


    As usual, I love the mug rug.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mug rug doubles as a flirty skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the Bible Quilt. If I wasn't already thoroughly over my head in applique, I'd join in ;)
    But I'll just enjoy watching your progress!

    I think this was my favorite mug rug. I like the black & white effect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! Have fun doing the BOM.

    ReplyDelete