Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Retirement: A Month In


I have to say that adjusting to retirement has been interesting and this past month has definitely had a different feel than "summer vacation" in the past...  for example, I don't feel as if I need to rush on projects.  Don't get it finished today?  That's okay... plenty more time to get it done.


I've been doing a number of little chores around the place such as taking apart and cleaning my vacuum cleaner and mopping the front porch... fun stuff that no one notices but you.  However, I have started hoeing out the sewing room, which consists of many steps.  I've been offered help but honestly, the hauling stuff out and cleaning is the easiest part.  The organizing/putting away will take some time but the hardest part:  rearranging sewing furniture in a 10'x10' room with wall-to-wall closet doors.  Not many places to put stuff.


It would help if I moved the desk and file cabinet out of the room but I don't know where I'd put it.  I like having all my "office stuff" together, and when following an online tutorial, it does help to have my laptop in the same room as my sewing machine.

(Yes, there are holes in the radiator cover... yet another project ahead of me.)

Previously, I had my ironing board set up in an L-position with my sewing tables but I swapped that out for a shelf with a portable cutting board-that-reverses-to-a-ironing surface.  I'll be able to store the iron on the shelf as well as the serger, which can be moved to the top shelf when needed.


I've also moved lights around and tried to brighten the dark corners of the room.   The moving/cleaning part is the easiest... it's the figuring out where to put stuff that is hard.  Several cups of tea were required....


No estimate on when I get this done but it's not a problem...  after all, I'm retired and have all the time I want!





8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your retirement! Looking forward to following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, good for you. You may have to move things several times to get it just right....I did. glad to see you are adapting and not going stir crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Closets are good for storing cabinets, too. I took off the door of the closet in my last sewing room to enlarge the room.
    So good to see a post from you.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE being retired and having NO schedule or alarm clock. My only problem with it is along with the extra time came body aches and pains. So I don't do as much "fun stuff" as I had planned to. Still, I'd take retirement anyway! Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missed your last post. Congrats on retirement. It took me quite awhile to adjust to not being on someone else's schedule. I'm loving it now. We moved from NJ to FL 7 days after I retired. It made setting up my sewing area a bit easier since it was already packed up from the move and I didn't have to clean behind things before placing them. The down side is that I didn't know what I really wanted where in the new space, 2 years and I'm still tweaking. Enjoy every minute of "your" new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to be retired too. I have 2 more years. The sewing room is looking mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, Freda! Welcome to the club! Nice job on the sewing room reorg. I haven't done mine yet... trying to work my way through WIPs and stash to make room for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wondered how you were getting along with retirement, Freda.
    I feel your pain in the sewing room. My room is a few feet larger, but windows and doors limit placement. I love my design wall, but it does take up one whole wall, which is very limiting. I would love to rearrange things more effectively, but haven't started because I can't figure out any other way to fit everything back in the room.
    Hope you get yours all worked out to your satisfaction--when you feel like doing it. : )

    ReplyDelete