I love peaches... but they are only in season in the summer so I make peach jam, enough to last me for a year until the peaches are back in season.
...and cutting up of said peaches...
...and after an hour of macerating with sugar and lemon juice...
....you're ready to start cooking!
It's a lot of work but, come winter, a little peach jam on a slice of toast or a hot biscuit....
...and you can enjoy the taste of summer again!
The recipe I use to make peach jam...
5 lb peaches for 10 cups peeled and diced
3 teaspoons lemon juice
5 cups sugar
- Mix cut up peaches with sugar and lemon juice in large bowl; let sit for 1 hour.
- In a large pot, bring peaches to a boil and boil for 25 minutes, stirring often. When jam starts to reach the jelling point, stir constantly.
- Remove from heat, pour into hot sterilized jars, seal.
- Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove and let cool on wire rack.