Miki Willa of Miki's Fabric Creations does some pretty cool stuff! One of the things she does is to make fabric where she sews scraps together and then makes blocks and appliques from the made fabric.
Made fabric by Miki Willa
While clearing my cutting table of all the fabric scraps yesterday afternoon, I had an IDEA! Of course, the IDEA had nothing to do with what I had planned to do... but you all are familiar with my quilter's ADHD, yes?
I pulled out fabric scraps from Grandbaby Quilt #5 to make fabric... and started sewing the scraps together...
...trimming selvedges as I went.
Then, I pulled out some batting remnants and zigzagged them together...
Next, I did a little simple quilting to hold the two layers together...
...then trimmed the quilted made fabric to be appx 1/4" larger than the composition notebook on all four sides when opened out flat.
I found a letter "C" online and printed out a copy to trace. I did not have any "Love U" fabric large enough to use so pulled an orange print from the scrap bin. I cut the letter out using my pinking shears and, and after ironing the letter onto the cover, I top-stitched the "C" down.
Using more of the scrap fabrics, I made two panels to make inside pockets in which to put the cardboard covers of the composition book.
I pinned these pockets to the cover and then added two small strips of fabric on the top and bottom in the middle to create a lining so the raw edge would not show once the cover was on the composition book.
After everything was pinned down, I sewed around the outer edges appx 1/4" from the edge.
I sewed at an angle on the corners and, once finished sewing, clipped the corners.
Turned everything inside out...
...stuffed the cardboard leaves of the composition book into the pockets...
...and pulled the pockets all the way onto the composition book.
The fit is snug but not tight.
The open section is covered but, if you prefer, you could just stitch this down so that the raw edges won't work themselves out.
Of course, I had to make a composition book cover for C's sister...
...using an orphan block from E's Grandbaby Quilt #4... the largest pieces of fabric I used was for the initials on the cover, the rest were scraps.
School starts later in the coming week so these will go in the mail on Monday.
One good thing about these covers is that they are, of course, machine washable.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Made fabric BOM at 15 minutes play!
Photo from 15 Minutes Play - BumbleBeans Inc.