Monday, February 17, 2014

16-Patch Update


I've finished sewing the 90 16-patch blocks in to three panels:  one is 4 x 9 blocks and the other two are 3 x 9 blocks.  You can't see all the blocks in this photo because the design wall isn't wide enough.


I'm going to quilt each panel leaving an unquilted space along the vertical edges.  I will then sew the panels together, quilting over the newly-sewn seam area.  I don't think I can manage all the fabric in, under, around, and through my domestic machine.  I'll let you know how it goes...

 
I went to my LQS yesterday to pick up a solid backing since I thought it would be hard to match any of the colors in fabrics used for the top.  Interestingly, there was no white/off-white/bone/snow/porcelain solid fabric to be had.  I asked.  So...  I will be waiting til my online order comes in.  (For those who are curious, the next nearest quilt shop or JoAnn's is an hour's drive for me.)


In other news, I went out yesterday morning for an early grocery run and found....

Yes, it was snowing!   Didn't last long and the dusting of snow was melted by 8am.   The warm temps (around 60 degrees yesterday) are rapidly melting what fell this past week.  Soon, it will just be a memory...



13 comments:

  1. Another quilt of yours that I love!! I like your idea of quilting in panels. It really is hard to get a big quilt through the machine. Wonder how many calories that burns? I know what you mean about the backing fabric. The last time I was at Joann's I bought 10 yards of the really wide, nice cotton fabric and used a 40% off coupon, which works for one cut of fabric. I plan to use this for the wedding quilt I am working on. If I am making a really scrappy quilt, I sometimes piece together all kinds of fabrics for the backing, as I need to use some of the fabrics people have given me.

    Yes the snow will be only a memory soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Freda........
    I might just have to make one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilting in sections is a great idea to try with this one. The smaller sections are so much easier to manage and that is how I started doing big ones. Be sure to mark--someway, maybe with tape--- which side is the edge to be joined for the outer ones so you stop the quilting. The first one I did, I quilting to the edge on the wrong side :) Learn from my mistakes. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize how far away your Joann's is:( Well at least there is always the online shopping world. Your 16 patch blocks are looking good and wow there are quite a few;)

    Enjoy your week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt. I find quilting on a domestic machine challenging. Quilting panels before piecing them together sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm anxious to see how the quilting in sections goes!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever technique for quilting the big quilt in parts. I love your blocks!
    You are really having some wide swings in temperature of late!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the LQSs save the whites and blacks for JoAnn's. I did find some at mine, but not at any of the others. (There are lots of LQSs here, but fewer than there used to be. (Sniff) Love your 16 patches. It's going to be a lovely quilt.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love, love, love your 16 patch, Freda. Did I say I loved it? :oD

    I've been known to use sheets for the backs of quilts. They're mostly polycotton but, if you can't get cotton, you use what you can. Or at least I do! And, sheets are so much cheaper than quilting cottons. At least they are over here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is looking good. We are suppose to get more snow tonight...5-6 inches. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! I have thought several times about using that technique for quilting a large one, and wondered how it would turn out. Looking forward to you letting us know! This is some lovely patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very interested t hear how this technique works. Could be a nice way to deal with a large quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness Freda that is a lot of squares ! I would have gone bonkers trying to piece them all together, but it does look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete